Leaders In Non-Profit Representation
Our firm is distinguished by its founders’ commitment to help non-profit organizations grow, prosper and fulfill their missions. Our preeminence in the non-profit arena is the result of years of relationship-building and innovation.
Practical Advice and Strategies
We combine creative, aggressive, results-driven legal strategies with a steadfast commitment to our clients’ social causes: health care, human services, affordable housing, anti-poverty, low-cost lending and education. We provide the kind of sophisticated, practical advice that is essential to the success of our non-profit clients.
Attractive Fee Structure
We recognize that to succeed in the face of complex financial and legal challenges, our communities’ most vital institutions must have access to the highest caliber legal talent within a reasonable fee structure. We offer a rate structure to our non-profit clients that enables them to obtain the services of our experienced lawyers for less than they would pay for junior associates at many other firms.
We represent a wide range of human and social service agencies, anti-poverty organizations, non-profit health care organizations, hospitals, educational institutions, and cultural organizations. We serve as trusted advisors and strategists to these clients. Our long-term relationships with our non-profit clients give us historical insight and a unique ability to help organizations in this critical sector formulate and achieve their visions.
Broad Range of Services
Our attorneys advise clients on non-profit corporate governance and compliance requirements; corporate formations, reorganizations, affiliations, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions; real estate acquisitions and leases; tax-exempt, tax-credit and conventional financing transactions; contracts and management agreements; gifts and bequests; federal and state rate and reimbursement issues; and labor and employment matters.
Our non-profit practice includes:
- Organizational Matters
- Formation & tax exemption Assisting clients in selecting the form of entity, and creating and documenting organizational structure; qualifying for exemption from income and real estate taxes; and establishing public charity or private foundation status and complying with associated requirements.
- Conflicts of interest & excess benefits Preparing conflicts and disclosure policies and procedures for considering employment arrangements and other transactions with insiders.
- Fiduciary duties and liabilities Advising board members on their fiduciary duties and liabilities; assisting organizations in avoiding liability; and reviewing D&O insurance policies.
- Mergers, Acquisitions and Affiliations Negotiating and documenting mergers, acquisitions and other types of corporate and contractual affiliations.
- Fundraising Issues and Financing
- Charitable solicitation regulation Complying with applicable federal and state laws regarding charitable solicitation and the disclosure of permitted deductibility.
- Donor relations Assisting with grant, sponsorship and bargain sale arrangements; establishing donee qualifications for grants; providing public support status opinions.
- Financing Representing borrowers and lenders in conventional, tax exempt and tax credit financings.
- Joint ventures Structuring joint ventures with for-profits and negotiating and documenting strategic alliances among nonprofits.
- Commercial activities Counseling clients on their commercial activities, for profit subsidiaries and unrelated business income issues, and avoiding prohibited private business use of bond-financed property.
- Executive compensation & employment Assisting clients in setting executive compensation; negotiating and drafting employment and severance agreements; drafting 457(b) and 457(f) plans; counseling clients on 409A issues.
- Contracts & licenses Negotiating and drafting contracts and intellectual property licenses
- Regulatory Compliance
- Reporting requirements Helping clients to comply with registration, public disclosure and ongoing reporting and filing requirements under federal, state and local law.
- Tax Exemption Compliance Guiding clients to avoid lobbying limitations and prohibitions against political activity; creating grant-making programs and fiscal sponsorship arrangements.
- Practice Before the Attorney General Gaining approval for asset transfers and dissolution, and addressing charitable bequest issues.
- Industry Specific Compliance Crafting operational procedures and manuals with respect to industry-specific regulation.